HomeFootballWomen’s football: Dublin and Galway win provincial titles

Women’s football: Dublin and Galway win provincial titles


Related stories


Leinster final: Dublin 3-17 Meath 0-8

Carla Rowe, Jennifer Dunne and Caoimhe O’Connor all struck goals at Croke Park on Sunday as Dublin claimed their 11th Leinster LGFA Senior Championship title in succession with an emphatic triumph over Meath.

A week on from getting the better of them in a provincial round robin game that took place at the nearby Parnell Park, Mick Bohan’s side – the current holders of the TG4 All-Ireland Senior Football Championship crown – once again had the measure of the Royal County in GAA HQ.

While Meath wing forward Ciara Smyth opened the scoring with a fine point from play in the fourth-minute, Dublin subsequently gained a stranglehold on the action. Following a 0-2 salvo by Hannah Tyrrell off her dependable left boot, industrious Jackies skipper Rowe knocked over a routine free.

Rowe was posing a series of problems for the Royal defence and when O’Connor released her on goal at the end of a driving run on 11 minutes, the Clann Mhuire attacker coolly slotted the ball beyond the reach of Monica McGuirk.

Meath inside forward Emma Duggan and Tyrrell went on to trade points at either end of the pitch, before Dublin midfielder Dunne forced a turnover on 20 minutes and proceeded to palm home at the end of the ensuing attack.

This created significant daylight between the teams and after the half-back duo of Olwen Carey and Lauren Magee found the target along with Tyrrell and the hard-working Orlagh Nolan, Dublin brought a convincing 2-8 to 0-2 buffer into the interval.

Although Meath got the second half scoring under way with a routine Duggan free, Dublin reinforced their authority with back-to-back points from Tyrrell and Rowe. Having been the creative force behind Rowe’s opening period goal, O’Connor rattled the net herself in the 39th minute – seconds after Kate Sullivan and the excellent Sinead Goldrick had gone perilously close to raising a green flag.

Meath finally had a purple patch either side of the third-quarter mark that produced unanswered points from Aoibhin Cleary and Duggan (two), but Dublin maintained a potent threat in attack. This was exemplified by a brace of points courtesy of Niamh Hetherton – the second coming via a majestic Tyrrell pass – as well as one each from Rowe and substitute Chloe Darby.

The tireless Duggan did bring her personal tally up to 0-6 in the closing stages, but with another two-point salvo from Hetherton being supplemented by a fine score from the experienced Nicole Owens, Dublin eased over the line.

Scorers – Dublin: C Rowe 1-3 (three frees), H Tyrrell 0-5 (one free), N Hetherton 0-4, J Dunne, C O’Connor 1-0 each, O Carey, J Magee, O Nolan, N Owens, C Darby 0-1 each. Meath: E Duggan 0-6 (four frees), A Cleary, C Smyth 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: A Shiels; M Byrne, L Caffrey, N Donlon; S Goldrick, O Carey (0-1), L Magee (0-1); J Dunne (1-0), J Tobin; C O’Connor (1-0), O Nolan (0-1), C Rowe (1-3, three frees); H Tyrrell (0-5, one free), N Hetherton (0-4), K Sullivan. Subs: G Kos for Carey, E Gribben for Nolan (both 38), A Kane for Magee (41), N Owens (0-1) for Sullivan (42), C Darby (0-1) for Goldrick (49),

MEATH: M McGuirk; C Lawlor, MK Lynch, N Troy; N Gallogly, L Young, K Newe; M O’Shaughnessy, A Cleary (0-1); M Thynne, S Melia, C Smyth (0-1); E Moyles, M Farrelly, E Duggan (0-6, four frees). Subs: K Cole for Young (25), O Gore for Newe (33), M Byrne for Melia (35), A Leahy for Thynne (39), A McCabe for Moyles (44, temp), O Mallon for Leahy (45).

Referee: Marion Hayden (Carlow).

Connacht final: Galway 1-11 Mayo 0-9

Andrea Trill’s goal in their final attack assured Galway regained the TG4 Connacht senior ladies football championship at St. Brigid’s GAA, Kiltoom, Co Roscommon on Sunday.

Daniel Moynihan’s team led 0-11 to 0-9 entering the final minute after three Lisa Cafferky frees put defending champions Mayo back in contention.

The annual joust between these provincial rivals did not disappoint as Galway tried to clear from a free as Nicola Ward’s ball was knocked down by Chellene Trill. Leanne Coen was also involved before Trill finished to the net and Galway took back the trophy they lost last year.

The teams were level five times during the first half with Galway opening inside 20 seconds thanks to Emma Reaney, after the returning Louise Ward charged down the centre following the throw-in.

Mayo responded immediately through Lisa Cafferky. And in the fourth minute, her sister Sinead’s strike from distance made it 0-2 to 0-1.

Galway struggled to break down their opponents. Roisin Leonard missed three dead ball shots but equalised on nine minutes making it 0-2 apiece.

Maria Cannon put Liam McHale’s team back in front but Coen restored parity within 60 seconds. Leonard finished a move started by a quality Ailbhe Davoren catch in defence but Ciara Durkan pushed up to supply Sinead Cafferky on 17 minutes for Mayo.

This began their best spell as they went two points ahead. Sinead Cafferky’s diagonal ball found Lisa for the lead; and the latter kicked her third from play on 23 minutes putting them 0-6 to 0-4 ahead.

Galway needed to gain some control again and concluded the period with two scores. Shauna Hynes got the first thanks to a Reaney assist; and a Leonard free left it 0-6 apiece at the break.

The hot weather was a factor and it was Galway, and in particular Olivia Divilly, who drove them on the scoreboard while Nicola Ward’s runs were decisive in carving up the Mayo defence.

Divilly got two points, either side of a Nicola Ward score, to make it 0-9 to 0-6 before Ailish Morrissey marked her return with a 43rd minute point. Another for Divilly put Galway five ahead entering the final 10 minutes.

Mayo did not concede and had earlier forced a Dearbhla Gower save from Fionnuala McLaughlin. But while they did reduce arrears by three points, Trill’s late green flag ensured Galway were Connacht champions.

GALWAY: D Gower; K Geraghty, S Lynch, M Jordan; C Cooney, N Ward (0-1), C Trill; M Glynn. L Ward; S Hynes (0-1), A Davoren, L Coen (0-1); E Reaney (0-1), R Leonard (0-3, two frees), O Divilly (0-3).

Subs: A Ni Cheallaigh for Cooney (33), A Morrissey (0-1) for Reaney (41), N Divilly for Hynes (44), A Trill (1-0) for Leonard (56), M Walsh for Glynn (60).

MAYO: L Brennan; S Lally, N O’Malley, K Sullivan; E Ronayne, C Durkan, D Caldwell; A Geraghty, E Murray; F McLaughlin, C Needham, S Cafferky (0-2); A Staunton, M Cannon (0-1, one free), L Cafferky (0-6, three frees).

Subs: A Fitzpatrick for Sullivan (HT), F McHale for Cannon (41), H Reape for Geraghty (43), E Needham for C Needham (46), M Reilly for Staunton (50).

Referee: Aaron Clogher (Roscommon)

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories