HomeShoppingMajor blaze at popular Irish store as emergency services battle fire for...

Major blaze at popular Irish store as emergency services battle fire for hours


Related stories


AN Irish community has been left in shock after a blaze broke out in a popular shop last night.

Emergency services rushed to the scene at Homesavers in Kilbride, Arklow, Co. Wicklow.


A fire broke out at Homesavers in Arklow last nightCredit: X @TrevS2022
Fire crew spent four hours battling the blaze


Fire crew spent four hours battling the blazeCredit: X @TrevS2022

The fire broke out about 9pm in a shed at the local homeware store.

Multiple fire crews responded to the blaze and local roads were closed.

The crew tackled the fire for four hours.

They managed to extinguish the flames by 1.30am in the early of hours this morning.

Thankfully, no injuries have been reported.

There was minor smoke damage to the main shop.

Gardaí confirmed there was no “suspicious nature about the fire from a criminal perspective”.

A garda spokesperson said: “Gardaí and fire services attended the scene of a fire at a premises on the Beach Road in Arklow, Co. Wicklow at around 9pm on Monday, 15th April 2024.

“No injuries were reported.”

They told the Irish Independent: “The fire was extinguished by 1.30 a.m. on Tuesday morning, after which the Dublin Road was re-opened.

“There was no damage to the main building except for some minor smoke damage.

“There was nothing of a suspicious nature about the fire from a criminal perspective, with a Fire Officer attending and inspecting the scene.”

Sinn Féin TD for Wicklow John Brady took to Facebook to warn residents of the blaze and avoid the area.

He said: “Well done to the guys in the emergency services. They were here pretty quick.”

One person said: “Ow no way I love shopping in it.”

Another said: “Oh my god, love the staff. I hope they’re safe.”

While another added: “I loved that shop.”

Separately, Dublin Fire Brigade shared a stark warning over a common household appliance that can cause a massive blaze when cooking dinner.

The fire crew reminded the public that oil fires cannot be put out with water.

They also warned people to never leave your cooker or oven unattended.

Sharing a picture to X of the aftermath of an oil-based kitchen fire, they reminded the public on the risks.

Dublin Fire Brigade said: “Cooking a Sunday roast today?

“Never leave a cooker or oven unattended.

“Keep a fire blanket and extinguisher in your kitchen.

“Water and oil do not mix, NEVER use water on an oil fire.”

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories