HomeFootballKerry see off Tipperary in second-half blitz to set up Munster final...

Kerry see off Tipperary in second-half blitz to set up Munster final with Cork


Related stories


Oisín Fleming opened Kerry’s account and Ronan Carroll added a free. Charlie Walsh opened Tipperary’s account from a free won by Oran Gahan.

By the 17th minute the scoreline was a dismal 0-3 to 0-1 with both sides guilty of poor wides and some worse turnovers.

The referee gave Gearóid White what looked like a very soft free to put Kerry three up, but deemed him to have over-carried when he pointed from play a minute later.

Ben Murphy rifled an effort at goal over the crossbar soon after to leave it 0-5 to 0-1.

Dylan Cotter had been Tipperary’s top scorer in their previous four games and he notched their first score from play in the 26th minute, with Joey McCarthy instantly replying after good work by Ruadhan Donovan.

Then came the first real moment of drama, as Charlie Walsh rose high to fist home a Dylan Cotter long ball. That put a cheer into the home supporters in Semple Stadium.

The half-time score stood at Kerry 0-6 Tipperary 1-2

Tipperary emerged in equally determined fashion and Charlie Walsh soon had them on level terms after Patrick McDonagh was fouled. A foil on Oisín Murphy saw White reply in kind.

Games sometimes have a very clear turning point, and it most certainly arrived in the 42nd minute here. Gavin O’Keeffe cleared well for Kerry and Ruairí O’Connell laid off to Jack Joy, who jinked at the back post and cleverly tucked home.

Kerry suddenly gained confidence, casting off every shackle to reel off seven points on the trot in a whirlwind. Credit must go to Kerry management, with their substitutions having a huge impact.

Mac Gearailt kicked two frees with his first two touches. Ben Murphy and McCarthy notched their second points and White his third. Killian Dennehy made it 1-14 to 1-3.

Jack Garrett did finally interrupt Kerry’s scoring spree with a free for Tipperary. At that stage, it may have been like poking a bear, as Kerry’s response was a goal by Éanna Murphy with his first touch after being introduced.

Walsh did get a Tipperary goal and would add a point from a free, but the contest was long over, with McCarthy and Michael Horan (2) splitting the posts before man of the match Jack Joy closed out the scoring to leave Kerry 14 points clear of their opponents.

A tougher Cork test awaits the Kingdom next Monday night.

Scorers – Kerry: J Joy 1-3; É Murphy 1-0; G White (2f), J McCarthy (2f), C Mac Gearailt (2f) 0-3 each; M Horan, B Murphy 0-2 each; O Fleming, R Carroll, K Dennehy 0-1 each. Tipperary: C Walsh 2-3 (3f); J Garrett (f) D Cotter 0-1 each

Kerry: K Robak, F Ryan, M Lynch, R Donovan, S Ó Cuinn, A Ó Beaglaoich, G O’Keeffe, B Murphy, K Dennehy, G White, J McCarthy , J Joy, O Fleming, R Carroll, Michael Horan. Subs: C Mac Gearailt for R Carroll (38), R O’Connell for O Murphy (40), E O’Flaherty for F Ryan (47), É Murphy for K Dennehy (51), G Casey for S Ó Cuinn (53)

Tipperary: M Conroy, N O’Flynn, R Myles, G Neville, D Morris, T Corcoran, J McGonigle, D Cotter, O Gahan, C Healy, P McDonagh, S Griffin, J Garrett, C Walsh, C Collins. Subs: C Kelly for C Collins (37), J Yousif for C Healy (45), A Coppinger for J McGonigle (52), D Hogan for S Griffin (52)

Ref: J Regan (Cork)

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories