HomeFootballGood Counsel crushed by late St. Kieran’s winner

Good Counsel crushed by late St. Kieran’s winner


Related stories


St. Kieran’s (Kilkenny) 2-10 Good Counsel 1-12

This pair played out an outstanding first year final in May of last year, with the Kilkenny boys coming away with a six-point win (3-12 to 0-15).

This was even closer, with nothing to separate the sides heading into additional time.

However, it wasn’t to be for the New Ross school as St. Kieran’s knocked over the winner, leaving a disappointed but gallant Counsel to reflect on what might have been.

These chances don’t come around every week, but Good Counsel have shown enough in these two deciders between the teams to confirm that they are right up to the level.

While getting over the loss will be tough, the excitement about what these boys are capable of will only heighten heading into next season.

It proved to be a tight start although St. Kieran’s moved 0-3 to nil up after eight minutes.

It took Good Counsel until the 15th minute to get their side of the scoreboard moving, with Joey Tobin on target.

However, scores began to flow more freely as the second quarter got going, with Seán Kinsella and Jack Cullen raising white flags to get their school within a single point.

A 21st-minute Kieran’s goal moved them back ahead again, but the Ross boys had a big end to the period.

Good Counsel probably needed a major score and it came from the stick of Rathnure’s Tobin, a well-taken penalty in the 29th minute.

He added an injury-time point to the tally as Counsel went into the interval just two points down (1-6 to 1-4).

It took nine second-half minutes for Good Counsel to get level for the first time after a Jack Cullen brace was added to by Tobin’s point (1-7 each).

However, Kieran’s again edged back in front with their second goal to close out the third quarter with a three-point lead.

Tobin continued to knock over frees and when Adam Fitzpatrick pointed in the 55th minute, the bare minimum separated the sides.

Heroically, full-forward Jack Cullen levelled it up with his fourth point as normal time expired, but St. Kieran’s had the final say and snagged the victory at the death.

Good Counsel: Patrick Aylward (Mullinavat); Luke Redmond (Davidstown-Courtnacuddy), Eoin Cahill (Horeswood), Seán Doyle (Adamstown); Fionn Murphy (Glenmore), Cian Kelly (Mullinavat), Harry Antonesa (Graiguenamanagh); Pádraic Hayden (Graiguenamanagh), Robbie Kehoe (Geraldine O’Hanrahans); Jamie Walsh (Gusserane), Seán Kinsella (Rathgarogue-Cushinstown, 0-1), Joey Tobin (Rathnure, 1-6, 0-4 frees); Oisín Roche (The Rower-Inistioge), Jack Cullen (Fethard, 0-4), Adam Fitzpatrick (Mullinavat, 0-1). Subs. – Neil Ryan (Tullogher-Rosbercon), Seán Galway (Adamstown), Kyle Bolger (Tullogher-Rosbercon), also Seamus Ryan (Mullinavat), Eoghan Doyle (Bannow-Ballymitty), Tadhg Walsh (The Rower-Inistioge), Cathal Redmond (Cloughbawn), Michael Ryan (Tullogher-Rosbercon), Seán Doyle (The Rower-Inistioge), Bobby Donovan (Rathgarogue-Cushinstown), Eddie Bolger (Mullinavat), Barry Foley (Taghmon-Camross), Cian Dwyer (Horeswood), Conor Conway (Mullinavat), Niall Kinsella (Rathgarogue-Cushinstown), Cody Hannon-Whelan (Fethard), Joe Finn (Gusserane), Eoin Aylward (Mullinavat), Paddy Kane (Geraldine O’Hanrahans), Killian McPhilips (St. James’).

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories