HomeFootballCork see off Munster rivals Waterford to book All-Ireland semi-final slot

Cork see off Munster rivals Waterford to book All-Ireland semi-final slot


Related stories

Through Irish Eyes on road to Flemington Cup 2024

There is no doubting the staying credentials of Through...

Eoin McElholm heading to Australia for AFL trial

Up-and-coming Tyrone star Eoin McElholm has headed back to...

Notre Dame Fighting Irish Unveil Updated Home Football Jerseys

Although they leaked in the very first screenshot of...

US YouTube star tries Gaelic football at Co Fermanagh GAA club

An American YouTube star has captured the attention of...

TG4 All-Ireland SFC quarter-final: Cork 1-17 Waterford 2-4

Cork booked their place in the TG4 All-Ireland SFC semi-finals at SuperValu Páirc Uí Chaoimh with an impressive victory over Waterford.

Shane Ronayne’s side overcame their Munster rivals to reach the last four of the All-Ireland SFC for the ninth time in 10 years.

Having lost to Waterford in the National League but overcoming the same opponents in the Munster championship, Cork set up a semi-final meeting with either Dublin or Galway thanks to a terrific defensive effort and a third-quarter surge highlighted by a Hannah Looney goal.

There are tougher tests ahead but Ronayne’s side underlined their steady improvement with a superb overall team performance.

Waterford began without a single Ballymacarbry player in their starting side including top scorer Kellyann Hogan, who is away travelling.

Emma Murray fired the visitors in front but a dominant Cork responded positively with Aoife Healy, Emma Cleary, Laura O’Mahony and Abbie O’Mahony making it 0-4 to 0-1.

Waterford remained a threat however, as Emma Murray grabbed her second point before a swift move ended with Katie Murray netting a superb goal.

The Rebels, guilty of squandering numerous chances, changed ends 0-6 to 1-2 ahead after Máire O’Callaghan and Cleary efforts helped steady nerves.

A third-quarter surge that yielded an unanswered 1-4 was the foundation for Cork’s eventual win.

Laura O’Mahony, Cleary and Katie Quirke (two) points preceded a swift Cork move that ended with substitute Looney firing into the net after 45 minutes.

Utilising a strengthening wind, Cork kept their opponents at arm’s length for the remainder of the quarter-final despite Clodagh Carroll’s late goal for the Déise.

Eimear Kiely and Clodagh Carroll exchanged scores prior to an Emma Fitzgerald free. A Quirke free kept Cork’s eight-point lead intact before Laura O’Mahony grabbed her third fisted point.

Hannah Power and O’Callaghan were both yellow carded in the closing stages but it mattered little as Cork ran out convincing 1-17 to 2-4 winners and head into the penultimate round with plenty of momentum behind them.

CORK: S Murphy; M Duggan, S Kelly, S Leahy; A Healy (0-1), S Cronin, D Kelly; M O’Callaghan (capt) (0-1), A O’Mahony (0-1); E Cleary (0-4), L O’Mahony (0-3), A McDonagh; A McAuliffe, K Quirke (0-3, 1f), R Leahy.

Subs: H Looney (1-1) for A O’Mahony, E Kiely (0-1) for A McAuliffe (both 40 mins); S McGoldrick (0-1) for S Cronin, A Ryan for A Healy; L McDonagh (0-1, f) for K Quirke (53).

WATERFORD: E O’Brien; C Murray, H Power (capt), K McGrath; A Murray, A McNulty, E Murray (0-2); E Power, C Carroll (1-1); M Comerford, A Fitzgerald, N Power; E Fitzgerald (0-1, f), L McGregor, K Murray (1-0).

Subs: C McCarthy for N Power (49 mins); A Waring for K Mullen (51); L O’Shea for L McGregor (55).

Referee: Jonathan Murphy (Carlow).

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories